Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Living My 60th Year publish -- Thankless Work

Thought I was done - almost!   I resigned last Thursday night; all eight executive board members were present and one member (a wife).  The executive team just sat there - not one word, not a question, nothing.  Not one person even said thank you.  

Resigning for me is very difficult because it cuts across why I volunteer.  

I was sad, feeling hurt and let down.  I spent the next day at a client and then with my farm partner for an early dinner and did some planning for our garden.  We had scheduled this date a couple of weeks ago.  I was so glad to have this distraction, a kind ear and a voice of reason to just listen to.
  
After we were done, I stopped out to visit with a few friends that were gathering in town.  That was when I was surprised that "they all knew about my resignation and NOW there are all the rumors?".

Unbeknownst to me, it was "leaked out" as one person said.  I didn't realize what big news that was and why couldn't the news be announced at the meeting we are having with all the members that was a week away?

Ok - this is drama and sounds like six graders on a playground!  You can't make this stuff up - time to begin to write the TV series.  This is childish and totally unprofessional.

One of the group I met up with Friday night , asked what was up.  I explained that I needed time for me and that I could not give time to the group any longer right now.  It doesn't mean I could not help out, I need time for me, now.  As I said ".... but not one person asked me why..."; I thought it prudent that I resign now as I would not be able to do my usual 110% job.  

It continues......  a couple hours later, the "news" was blasted on FaceBook on one of the pages I was a member and then I was locked out of the page by the Admin.  This has happened before because she didn't like that I agreed with a statement said.  I couldn't even remember and she took a week before she apologized for the behaviour.

My phone and computer began lighting up like holiday decorations.  The person that put it up was NOT at the meeting on Thursday night - so how did the information get out?  People sent me screen shots of the entry.  Let's say it is not a popular entry.  My phone/computer continue to ring throughout Saturday.   I met with several key folks on Saturday night at a graduation gathering for a friend here in Town.  I told them the same thing you read above.

The drama is not over.  Actually I've had time to reflect, who said hindsight is 20/20 was so correct.  For their irresponsibility, if I was spiteful, I say they will be getting what they deserve.  I'm not spiteful, and I would hope that it will be a lesson, learn it now or they will be dealing with internal drama and not meeting their mission!

So back to me feeling thanklessness.  When you decide to volunteer there are changes that happen to a person mentally and physically.  There is hope, optimism, passion, and a sense that your contribution will help the organization.  Personally, I don't expect much in return.  I do volunteer as I see the bigger picture and how that organization will help the community around us.  I do volunteer because I was brought up to give back to the community.

In a blog by Todd Henry - quoting "...... So much of what we do as creative is thankless. It’s process. It’s iteration. It’s cranking away with the hopes that the finished work will vindicate us (no emergencies needed). But no one sees the internal turmoil, the questioning or the little choices we make that cost us something. We make these choices because we love our craft, not because of recognition.  When we choose a path of contribution, it often means a choice to forgo recognition for our work. Commitment to excellence means doing things right even when it may never be seen by another living soul. "

Today is a new day.  I am even more committed to my decision to resign.  Nice opportunity - thanks for that, I'm on my way to better opportunities.


Here's to a year of catching the dreams you chase,
doing what makes you smile,
and loving the life you live.

No comments: