Friday, February 13, 2015

Minimalism - January

This past November and December I did a Minimalism Challenge.  It was a thirty day challenge to look around your home and at yourself of how you lived.  Remove, re-organize, recycle and re-purpose the items in many of the places in which we live.  Now it is time to get out the list, and setup what to accomplish during the balance of the winter months.

Most of us know that we could live without lots of the "wants" in our life.  I was amazed to complete the challenge and found that I needed to complete more of the days challenges.  As I went along, I made up a list of items that I needed to revisit and get them done!

In January I held a big dinner party in my home.  So it was logical to go back to Day21 - Only the necessities in the Kitchen. I completed one cabinet for the challenge - that was a pretty big effort on my part.  It's been over a month, and I'm finding that the cabinet works so much better.  If one could say the cabinet is a  joy - then it is a joy!

In preparation of the dinner party - I found that "I forgot" I had certain items around and/or I couldn't find others.  Borrowing items was better than owning those items you need infrequently.  I came across an article on 8 Things You DON'T Need in Your Kitchen .  How about those small appliances, the extra dishes, and items stored on the top of the counter?  Great article and more food for thought.

I put the Day 21's List on my Monthly challenge.  It has 15 areas of the kitchen and related areas.   What I found important in cleaning out an area is to keep it simple, break it down and then live with it for awhile to insure that the "new" is overall better for daily life.

So here's the January accomplishments for Day 21's list.  I was able to put items in the Donate Box - yes it is in it's established place. I can see what's in the drawers and cabinets so far - it is very good.  I found silverware that need to be reorganized, the office drawer with those misc items in it, and two drawers one with some linens, and the other with leftover containers.  It's pretty good so far - no struggling with where items are, and each of them are looking about the same.

Onward to February!!!


Day 21 - kitchen cabinets - only the necessities  - Take one cabinet/drawer a day
0.  Cabinet to the right of microwave -----  December
1.  cabinet left of microwave
2.  drawer below #1 January
3.  Drawer below #2 January
4.  Drawer below #3 January
5.  drawer to right of stove January
6. cabinet below #5
7.  drawer on left side of island
8.  cabinet below #7 February
9.  drawer on right side of island
10.  cabinet below #9
11.  cabinet to left of sink
12.  cabinet above sink
13.  cabinet to right of sink
14.  Pantry closet
15.  storage in garage.
16.  storage cube in dining room
17.  Cabinet in dinning room January

No comments: